Chosen in His Service

Wednesday, December 31, 2008

My Yoke is Easy

‘Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.’ Matthew 11:28-30 (NIV)

Judaism placed a terrible burden of responsibility on each individual. Jews believe that anyone Jew or gentile, may gain salvation through commitment to the one true God and through moral living. To live morally a Jew had to adhere to the letter of the Law which was quite burdensome.

But Jesus Christ, a Jew Himself, came promising to lift such burdens/yoke from the human heart. Followers of Christ are saved by faith and not by works. So even today He says, ‘Come to me all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. … For my yoke is easy and my burden is light’.

No comments: