Chosen in His Service

Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Moses, my name is I Am

God has many names in the Bible that describes His character and attributes. In the same way that someone named “Tom” might also be called “father” or “husband” or “the boss,” God has names that describe Him and His relationship with His people.

During the Old Testament times, the Hebrews considered the Hebrew name for “God” so holy that they wouldn’t even pronounce it. So, when God appeared to Moses in a burning bush and sent Him to lead the Israelites out of Egyptian captivity, Moses asked God, “Who should I say sent me?” After all, He couldn’t breathe the name of God in public. God replied by saying, “Moses, my name is I Am.” (Exodus 3:14, NIV) In other words, “I am anything and everything you need. I am your joy. I am your peace. I am your strength. I am your health. I am your way to freedom. I am whatever you need.”

No comments: