Chosen in His Service

Tuesday, April 07, 2009

Salvation for all outcasts

Isaiah 56 Part II

3 Let no foreigner who has bound himself to the LORD say, "The LORD will surely exclude me from his people." And let not any eunuch complain, "I am only a dry tree."
4 For this is what the LORD says: "To the eunuchs who keep my Sabbaths, who choose what pleases me and hold fast to my covenant-
5 to them I will give within my temple and its walls a memorial and a name better than sons and daughters; I will give them an everlasting name that will not be cut off.
6 And foreigners who bind themselves to the LORD to serve him, to love the name of the LORD, and to worship him, all who keep the Sabbath without desecrating it and who hold fast to my covenant-
7 these I will bring to my holy mountain and give them joy in my house of prayer. Their burnt offerings and sacrifices will be accepted on my altar; for my house will be called a house of prayer for all nations."
8 The Sovereign LORD declares— he who gathers the exiles of Israel: "I will gather still others to them besides those already gathered."

Isaiah obviously received a greater insight into the heart of God than most earlier prophets did. He includes the very people the Law of Moses commanded to keep away from the temple worship.

The Jewish outcasts included the women, the blind, the lame, the lepers, the eunuchs and the Samaritans. Foreigners or gentiles were another set of outcasts that were not allowed to participate in any Temple services. Verses 3 and 4 again emphasizes the universality of the salvation offered to those who bound themselves to the Lord. They bound themselves to the Lord by trusting Him and lovingly serving him from their heart.(verse 6) (He who searches the inner thoughts of men cares little for outward appearances.)

Verse five clearly defines the high honor these outcasts are to enjoy! The Jews were known as the true children of God. Here however, God says that when He reveals His salvation (Jesus), the outcasts will be more honored than the ‘sons and daughters’ and God Himself will ensure that they will never be cut off from His promised salvation!!! How true, the Jews in their unbelief rejected Jesus and the gentiles who believed were grafted to the True Vine (Jesus) and we have his promise that we will not be rejected as long as we remain in Jesus.

Verse 8 is a further reaffirmation that God’s salvation plan includes more than the Diaspora (scattered, exiled) Jews. God’s salvation scope extends to the ends of the world calling out to one and all who will accept His terms of Salvation – Jesus.

No comments: